Client: The Alnwick Garden Trust
Contract Value: £950,000
The World’s Largest Playground is the vision of imaginative and immersive play, created by the Duchess of Northumberland. A decisive move away from standardised play equipment, Lilidorei is a fantasy village – ruled by Lord Elfin – a place where there are lots of questions with no answers.
Sustain Landscapes were delighted to be asked to implement the soft landscaping element of this fantastic play development which included over 1400 Christmas trees planted to envelop the entire play area. Works commenced on site in November 2022 and were completed in June 2023.
The landscape package included the following:
- Nursery visit to Ebben, The Netherlands to select and tag tree stock.
- Ground preparation for all tree, shrub and turf areas.
- Planting and underground guying of tree stock with Green Blue Urban Arborguy system.
- Installation of tree pit irrigation/aeration system.
- Installation of full irrigation system.
- Seeding and shrub planting to Clan areas of site.
- Turfing and drainage to village green.
- Transplanting of selected shrubs from the Alnwick Garden to the Clan planting areas.
- Tree planting and seeding to new overflow car park.